Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

7 Reasons to Decide that Mondays are Actually Great

I wrote this for someone I know who hates Mondays.
Posting it here because, well, it's a pretty awesome list and my Monday is getting off to a shaky start  (Woke up late, woke up feeling fat, my clothes look dumb, curled my hair but it's humid and so curls died and hair looks dumb, the bus was late, I slept through my stop, I had to walk extra to get to work. Bright spot: Someone asked me if I "still ran that moonbounce business". And turns out I have a twin who runs a moonbounce business. Then got a little down b/c I wish so much I was scheduling fun events and testing moonbounce units all day.)


If I did run a moonbounce business, you better believe all my units would be awesome  like this  Stonehenge one


Anyway, I can use the reminder today. So, on to the Seven Reasons:



1. Newness: new day, new week.....new attitude. You get to make a fresh To-Do-List. A great day to start a project: diets, resolutions, journals, whatever.

2. The commute is a little quicker b/c lotsa ppl use Monday for their AWS day.

3. Everyone's a little more forgiving on Mondays, b/c they're battling dread, too.

4. God probably likes to surprise ppl w/ good things on Mondays, b/c He likes doing things unpredictably.

5. It's really typical to complain about Mondays. Who wants to be typical?

6. You get to process/reflect on the events of your weekend.

7. It's a good day to use your haptic mind.

Note: I think this is the wrong word. But here is the concept:
I learned this from one of my photo professors. She was talking about that kind of thinking you do in the shower, or on a run, or while driving a familiar route. Something takes over and does the task at hand
(showering, driving, whatever), and so frees another part of your brain to think peripherally about other things.
She said that oblique thinking (not bearing down hard to 'come up with ideas') yields the
most creativity. She called it using your haptic mind.
(But as I looked it up, the word 'haptic' seems to mean something else. Or maybe the haptic mind is actually the part that does the boring/repetitive task on auto-pilot. Like 'muscle memory', but it's the brain.
Or maybe she said a different word. Or maybe she understood this concept, but assigned a random word to it. WHO KNOWS.)

Anway, I totally get this idea. I do this all the time...almost always have peripheral, oblique thinking going on and especially when doing routine, mundane or repetitive tasks. And I can't just quit calling it haptic after 20 years just because it's the wrong word. Unless someone tells me the right word for it.


1 comment:

Mary'sCorner said...

I get drunk on your writing and your lists. Great fun. Thanks!