Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Dating Kiki 2.0 --An Introduction

I've been single since 1995.
I've toyed with dating all along the way:  One blind date with Elf. Briefly went to a singles ministry (met a deceitful guy, it was terrible, never again, blah blah), tried online things (but never actually called/met them, one friend makes fun of how i use it to make penpals)....one maddening thing happens to me regularly (it's happened at least 3 times) is that I can meet a guy, and he likes talking to me a lot. And we talk for hours and hours and hours. Yet he never actually wants to date me.  He might say really complimentary things about my appearance (this was 2 of them). He might tell me really deep and personal things about himself that he has never shared with anyone in his life ( again, 2...not same 2). He might accidentally call me "honey" sometimes (1 of them did this. I can make you a Venn Diagram if you want). But as far as actually asking me to be his gf, or however adults accomplish becoming official...never happens.

But this year is going to be different.
This is going to be the year that I  -- in the words of Mark H., a former student of mine -- "acquire a gentleman."

Rationale:

1. Fitting In
My two single friends are all but wearing the engagement ring. One met her guy in church, one met her guy online. Both spend the bulk of their free time with their respective guys. Neither thinks of the idea of letting me tag along on their dates.

2. Timing
L & C are all grown up. They'd like me to have other things occupying my mind and time, I'm sure.


So everything is coming together:
  • Kids grown
  • my braces are coming off & my body is getting really fit & I am less immature than ever - IT'S A TRIFECTA OF APPEAL
  • Jupiter is aligning with Mars
  • the end of the world is rapidly approaching
IT'S TIME.

3. Love, etc.
I do think about what it would be like have that element as a part of my life. I make a pros/cons list and assign weights to the criteria and crunch the numbers, the way I do for all major life decisions.
I can see that it could be a beneficial thing. And mutually beneficial, too -- I'd be a very nice life partner for someone. No,  really.



So I will log my quest here. The good, the bad, the ugly. I will change names, but not facts. I will record my feelings honestly, and spare the reader nothing. Be warned: This log could prove to be exciting and romantic, but will likely be boring and mildly depressing.

To my precious readership (all 3 of you really are precious to me,I'm not kidding), I welcome -- no, I invite --  your advice and encouragement, even your admonishment or correction.










No comments: