Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

DK 2.0 - Episode 4 - Dag and Elmer

The Means
OK, besides using the online dating service that boasts 29 points of compatibility and does the pre-selecting for you, I also signed up for a free one that some coworkers suggested.

This one is a free-for-all:  You can search anyone, choose anyone. You can rate them with stars, favorite them, messge them, chat them. There are quizzes and questions and polls and keyword searches. The data is crunched, and for anyone you select, the site gives you a percentage of "Friend" and "Enemy" the two of you are.. I'm finding the site to be overwhelming, but part of it is just the busy interface. Which I'll get used to.  Part of it is the crazy messages you receive. Which I'll get used to, and probably shouldn't.

On this site, I've been messaged by married men (uh, no thx ), boys who are in their 20s (uh...i want to lecture you on staying in college and not texting while driving), and finally lately: viable prospects.

Dag

He messages me, seems intelligent. I almost joked around with him and asked him if he gets a lot more dates in the last few years b/c he kinda has an Obama look to him. (I'm glad I didn't, I don't think he would have liked that.)

We decide, completely spontaneously, to meet for coffee. I know this is not the safest thing: there's been no exchange of information, no googling, no checking public records sites.

We meet and have really good discussion for a couple of hours. I won't go into details, but he has some really unique perspectives. I actually encourage him to blog, write, something.

I am starting to wonder about online dating in general. I would have never met this person unless I had put my profile on the site. In our real lives, our paths would have never crossed.

 I am disrupting the flow of the universe right now.  I'm like the character in those movies who time travels and really screws everything up doing something really normal...like eating a cupcake...but the cupcake was supposed to have been eaten by a different person, cuz he was gonna choke on it, and the person who gives him the heimlich maneuver ends up being his future wife. And so b/c I eat the cupcake, all their kids in their family photo from the present year are fading away, b/c they'll never exist. Because I had to eat the dang cupcake. And turns out I don't even want more of those cupcakes. 

It's time to go to our car, which he wants to walk me to. I briefly picture a scene from a movie where a gun is pulled out and shoved into my side and he's like,"Get in the car. Scream and you're dead."
So I play with my phone and let him know that I'm texting my kid...(so you can just leave that gun in your pocket, OK? HA! Foiled!")

I drive away. I do not know what's next. Writing this entry is helping me even think about it all.


Elmer

Elmer and I are planning to meet next week. Very, very interesting person: again, someone with completely different perspectives than I have. His accomplishment is intimidating to me.

And here I go, eating another cupcake, playing fast and loose with fate .... never knowing who I'm actually supposed to meet and interact with.


THIS POST IS A DOWNER, I KNOW. Don't worry, Readers. I plan to have another ridiculous date very soon where I get to Kiki-First-Base (brushing shoulders) and have ZERO deep thoughts during the date and just say REALLY AWKWARD things to him that make him have that CUTE PUZZLED look on his face. SO don't stop reading, deal???














6 comments:

Perennia said...

Pssssh, you're not disrupting the flow of the universe, this IS the flow of the universe! It sounds like you met some interesting people who you want to see again, which is exactly the point. Make some friends! That is one of the best outcomes of online dating. I am still friends with a guy I had one coffee date with. It was enough to make it clear that we had no romantic attraction but he's a sharp guy so I am glad to know him.

LOL @ your cupcake analogy though, hah!

kiki said...

Oh Perennia you make me feel better.
I'm making FRIENDS, not ruining my destiny.
And you're saying that Cyberspace IS part of the universe.

SIGH. I feel better already.
CUPCAKES ALL AROUND!!!

Perennia said...

NO CUPCAKES! :)

Shannon said...

Eeek....having trouble commenting here! :)

I'll try again...

In a recent episode of Merlin, Merlin catches a glimpse of a dreadful future and tries to prevent it, eventually concluding that everything he did to prevent it only served to cement it more firmly....a twisted view of predestination...cruel fate, etc.

Instead we have a God that means all the weird stuff for good...so Joseph crosses paths with all those people in Egypt he never should have met...and Jesus talks to that Samaritan woman he certainly never should have met...

Shannon said...

Oops...forgot to add that I am enjoying your episodes...hope that is a reaction you like!

kiki said...

SHANNON!!!
I JUST SAW THIS!!!
And yes, that whole idea of "trying to change the future only results in donig the very things that make that future" is a common plot element in time-travel/sci fi movies. I'd love to see it.

And you know I love OT Joseph more than any other OT guy. Even counting Boaz, even counting David.
And there's the idea of -- does God 'mean' it or just 'allow/use' it.
And YES I am glad you like!!!!