Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Kimba

This is from my old blog (from the myspace days...http://www.myspace.com/joymonger/blog  I can't even remember my password to login now, and it was an adelphia.net address -- adelphia isn't around anymore )


Kimba was a Japanese cartoon that ran in the 70s. It came on after Speed Racer. Kimba was this adorable yet tough white lion. In my memory, he led all the other animals and was a master at conflict resolution.
I didn't just love Kimba..didn't just obsess over Kimba...I *was* Kimba.
I had patches on all the knees of my jeans from running around on all fours. I fought rogue animals, found alternative water sources during droughts, rescued loved ones when they dangled from cliffs. Every time I watched it, I acted out the intro with Kimba running to save someone or set something right...
I stayed in character when the ladies came over for morning coffee, growling under the table. My mom's seemingly offhand acceptance of my behavior was really just her way of daring them to say anything about it.
When I played with my Matchbox cars, they were all really animals in my mind. The white sports car was Kimba.
I think I was 5 or 6 when I quit being Kimba publicly.

No comments: